Human Resources Generalist
JOB TITLE: Human Resources Generalist
REPORTS TO: Human Resources Manager
FLSA CLASS: Exempt
SALARY RANGE: $54,724 - $68,405 (offers based on applicable experience)
Administration and maintenance of several aspects of the Human Resources function, including employee wellness and benefits programs, employee relations, leave of absence/FMLA, employee status changes, providing advice and counsel to all levels of management, management/employee training, and other HR functions. Job functions will be rotated among Generalists.
- Provide advice and counsel to all levels of management to address employee relations issues, including policy and procedure interpretation, handling employee matters, all related employment law, and preparation and delivery of corrective action, etc.
- Communicate with employees regarding pertinent HR issues in a timely and effective manner.
- Maintain appropriate physical and mental health required to perform the essential functions of this job.
- Regular and timely physical attendance during assigned work hours.
- On-call and overtime work required in emergencies and at other times as directed or assigned.
- Counsel and advise management staff, including executive staff, in handling difficult or sensitive employee relations issues, review cases of serious violations of company rules and policies regarding employee conduct, and recommend and implement actions appropriate for conflict resolution, including disciplinary action.
- Work effectively as member of the MedStar team and as a member of the Leadership team, and set proper example for subordinate employees to follow.
- Complete other projects and/or responsibilities as assigned by the Chief Financial Officer and/or the Chief Executive Officer.
- Ensure confidentiality of medical and all other discretionary information.
- Conduct confidential and thorough investigations into employee violations of company policy.
- Provide quick resolution to employee questions, concerns, and complaints, involving appropriate management when necessary.
- Conduct exit interviews and track all required feedback.
- Create and implement strategies to recruit needed personnel.
- Conduct job analysis with hiring managers to identify staffing needs when needed.
- Ensure all related legal requirements are met with regard to testing, interviewing, pre-employment requirements, and offers within the HR Department and across all levels of management.
- Conduct reference checks and coordinate background checks, drug tests, and pre-employment physicals.
- Maintain applicant database and correspondence with applicants.
- Coordinate, conduct, and facilitate new hire orientations.
- Provide regular comprehensive interview training to the management team and those employees who assist with hiring processes.
- Prepare all monthly staffing/turnover reports as required.
- Manage internal job posting program.
- Manage and administer overall benefits administration for all health insurance, group life, STD/LTD, supplemental life, supplemental benefits plans, retirement, and tuition reimbursement for 500 employees.
- Manage all COBRA administration.
- Ensure all legal reporting obligations are met.
- Creatively and effectively communicate benefits plans and options on a regular basis to ensure employees take advantage of all benefits.
- Administer and manage employee wellness program.
FMLA/Leave of Absence
- Ensure firm compliance with all requirements associated with FMLA including communication to employees, required records and documentation, and usage tracking.
- Advise and counsel employees as to their rights under FMLA and process all related LOA’s and those that are not eligible for FMLA under the applicable company policy.
- Provide regular training to all levels of management of basic FMLA provisions and the company’s responsibilities under the law.
- Prepare all monthly reports as required.
- Ensure consistent and equitable use of employee recognition program across all departments.
- Ensure timely presentation of all employee awards for all recognition programs (service awards, perfect attendance, Job 1).
- Manage random and reasonable suspicion drug testing program to include overall compliance, proper handling of all positive test results, and coordination with HR Manager.
- Maintain relationship and ensure adequate services from testing agency.
- Ensure proper procedural follow through with all Human Resources transactions including status changes, pay changes, terminations, address changes, etc.
- Employ strong administrative skills and great attention to detail to follow up on various issues.
- Accurately input all necessary data from status changes into HRIS in a timely manner.
- Generate reports from the HRIS as needed.
- Generate EEO and other government reports.
- Respond to requests from states regarding unemployment and EEOC charges.
- Air conditioned office environment
- Sit for extended periods of time
- Walk, stand, bend, squat, twist, and reach
- Simple grasping and fine manipulation
- Extended keyboarding
- PHR/SPHR or SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP Certification or at least five years of Human Resources Generalist experience
- Prior experience in the areas of benefits administration, recruiting, and leave of absence/FMLA
- In-depth knowledge of employment law and legal reporting requirements
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent organizational and prioritizing skills
- Ability to manage several tasks simultaneously and accomplish a large amount of work
- Ability to reason carefully and make decisions quickly
- Intermediate knowledge of Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Must not have been excluded by the OIG to participate in Federally Funded Health Care Programs
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or Business Management
- Prior HR experience in healthcare or EMS
- Seven to eight years of prior HR generalist experience
- Prior experience with HRIS systems