Assistant Pastry Chef
Job Title: Assistant Pastry Chef
Department: Food & Beverage/Talking Stick Resort
Reports To: Pastry Chef
Starting Pay Rate up to $21.50 per hour; depending on prior experience
Under the direction of the Pastry Chef, the Assistant Pastry Chef is responsible for bakeshop functions ranging from the preparation, product inventory, display and presentation of baked goods; assists with the supervision and coordination of the activities of bakers engaged in the preparation of a variety of desserts, pastries, and other confections which are served in the various restaurants, banquets and outlets in the casino and hotel property.
Directly supervises approximately 7 (up to 10 if during peak season) bakers in the bake shop. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, production, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education and/or Experience
* High School diploma or general education degree (GED) required;
* Culinary degree strongly preferred;
* 5 years professional baking experience with a minimum of 2 years in a high volume food and beverage environment;
* 1 year experience in a lead or supervisory role required;
* And/or an equivalent combination of education, training and professional culinary work experience.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Must possess a Maricopa County Food Handlers Card or ServSafe certification.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have basic PC skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office applications. Knowledge of software related to the Food & Beverage industry and previous experience with food cost management systems strongly preferred.
* Must be knowledgeable and have had professional exposure to all facets of the field (i.e. breads, candy, chocolate, pastry and cakes).
* Must have the ability to work professionally in a busy, high volume environment.
* Must possess effective communications skills.
* Must present a well-groomed professional appearance.
* Must demonstrate proper food handling and sanitation skills at all times.
* Must possess basic math skills.
Must be able to read, write, speak and understand English.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand for prolonged periods of time; walk; use hands and fingers to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear and taste or smell. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; secondary smoke; extreme cold; extreme heat and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.