Job Summary: Provides basic patient care services under the direction and supervision of a licensed physician, physician assistant, or nurse practitioner. Performs various clerical and administrative duties under the direction of the Site Manager. Assists with office procedures, as necessary. Maintains equipment and supplies, as directed. Operates various office and medical equipment, as necessary.
- Consistently uses an outward mindset and puts forth exemplary effort in accomplishing his/her goals and objectives in a manner that helps others to achieve their goals and objectives.
- Assists in evaluating the condition of the patient and preparing the patient for the examination.
- Reviews patient medical records to assure completeness and accuracy, escorts patient to exam area, performs necessary assessment functions (B/P, temp, height, weight, BMI, pulse ox, etc.), updates medication and allergy information, questions patient and updates health history, and informs provider when patient is ready for examination. Ensures that all relevant documentation for the patient appointment is available for review (ER Note, Discharge Summary, Consultation Notes, etc.).
- Assists in Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH) initiatives; Adheres to PCMH policies, as applicable.
- Processes patients and schedules appointments/tests following established guidelines.
- Reports pertinent information to appropriate personnel, and records data accurately and concisely in the patient record.
- Administers medication and performs diagnostic procedures/treatments in accordance with departmental and hospital policies and procedures.
- Answers incoming calls, assists callers as indicated, or refers patient calls to the appropriate personnel. Retrieves and processes clinical voicemail messages following established guidelines.
- Documents appropriate information on patient encounter forms and department logs.
- Obtains appropriate authorization forms/releases, consents and prior authorizations for prescription medications following established guidelines.
- Under the supervision/direction of the provider, orders prescriptions by calling, faxing or electronically sending prescriptions and refill information to designated pharmacy within the scope of licensure.
- Maintains the standards of care and implements the policies and procedures of Oaklawn Hospital and the Oaklawn Medical Group.
- Adheres to regulations and standards of accrediting body. Observes universal precautions and complies with OSHA and MIOSHA standards re: blood borne pathogens and biohazard waste.
Minimum Qualifications: Current LPN licensure in the State of Michigan; Current BLS certification.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: Experience in a physician health care office or similar setting preferred. Demonstrated knowledge of computers, insurance and medical terminology preferred. Experience using Allscripts PM and EHR preferred.
Working Conditions: Potentially exposed to infectious diseases.
Physical Requirements: Constantly stand, walk, see/visual acuity, handle/grasp/feel, talk/hear. Frequently sit, reach, push/pull, bend/twist, stoop/kneel/crouch. Occasionally lift/carry 1 to 50+ lbs.