Job Summary: Under the supervision of a registered nurse, performs selected patient care activities and participates in the multidisciplinary treatment plan.
- Consistently uses an outward mindset and puts forth exemplary effort in accomplishing his/her goals and objectives in a manner that helps others to achieve their goals and objectives.
- Assists in creating an environment that is clean, neat, and conducive to patient comfort.
- May function as a back up to the utilization review staff member.
- Gives patient care by understanding the dynamics and utilizing interpersonal relationships therapeutically.
- Participates in the identification, stabilization, and resolution of potential crisis; must be able to identify when assistance is needed
- Assists with the orientation of patients and families to the unit.
- Assists with planning and participates in therapeutic activities with patients;
- Performs selected treatments and takes patients' temperature, blood pressure, pulse and respiration as directed by registered nurse.
- Charts factually and concisely, and takes responsibility for making entries into record in correct sequence and according to Hospital policy and procedure
- Assists patient in doing personal laundry.
- Accompanies patient to other departments when necessary.
- Assists in placing patient in seclusion and restraints, as indicated.
- Assists in patient and room searches.
- Develops relationships with patients individually and in groups.
- Reports pertinent information and observations to other treatment personnel.
- Assists with groups under the supervision of the RN as needed.
Minimum Qualifications: High School diploma and Six (6) months experience working with mental health patients or High School diploma and Two (2) years, post high school, of continued education towards an Associate degree in Psychology or related field. BLS certification. Completion of Handle with Care Basic Certification in physical and nonverbal patient management within two months from date of hire.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: Bachelor’s degree in a mental health or related field preferred. Able to work under stressful situations and possesses good oral and written communication skills.
Working Conditions: Potentially exposed to infectious diseases.
Physical Requirements: Constantly stand, walk, see/visual acuity, handle/grasp/feel, talk/hear, lift/carry 1 to 25 lbs. Frequently sit, reach, bend/twist, lift/carry 25 to 49 lbs. Occasionally lift/carry 50+ lbs.