Job Summary: Provides professional nursing care for the comfort and well-being of patients using critical thinking and independent judgment, and all phases of nursing process including assessment, diagnosis, planning, implementation and evaluation. Responsible for the direction and supervision of the nursing patient care team Collaborates with own team and other disciplines in the provision of care. Documents patient care, patient condition, reactions and response to treatment in a timely manner and tracks patient progress.
- Consistently uses an outward mindset and puts forth exemplary effort in accomplishing his/her goals and objectives in a manner that helps others to achieve their goals and objectives.
- Conducts initial and ongoing assessments, develops and updates plan of care accordingly in collaboration with patient.
- Provides and directs nursing care and evaluates outcomes.
- Uses technology appropriately including safety standards and measures; follows infection prevention standards.
- Uses evidence based tools, established policies, procedures and standards of care and practice
- Educates patients and family members and documents accordingly.
- Reports actual or potential occurrences according to Oaklawn Hospital procedures.
- Engages in self-assessment, peer review, completes mandatory education and competency assessments, accepts responsibility for ongoing professional development.
- Participates in unit based performance improvement activities, staff meetings, supports change.
- Behaves in accordance with: Oaklawn Hospital’s mission, vision, values; Nursing’s vision, philosophy; ANA’s Code of Nursing Ethics; Relationship Based Care tenets.
- Practices at all times in accord with the legal definition of nursing in the State of Michigan, including provisions on delegation and supervision.
Minimum Qualifications: Successful completion of a program in nursing. Current licensure in the State of Michigan as a Registered Nurse. BLS, ACLS and PALS certification. TNCC certification within one year.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: Clear oral expression; oral comprehension includes listening to and understanding others; deductive and inductive reasoning skills; ability to write clearly; use of technology such as EMR, selective attention – able to concentrate for protracted periods; time sharing – able to shift back and forth successfully between two or more activities; manual dexterity – to manage IV tubing, syringes, and other equipment; information ordering skills – patterns of numbers, pictures, words and mathematical operations including medication calculation. Ability to work with diverse patient and staff populations with sensitivity to cultural and spiritual influences impacting patient care. Efficiently manage time with minimal supervision.
Working Conditions: Work in an unpredictable environment encountering stressful situations and exposure to body fluids and infectious diseases. May experience traumatic situations including deceased patients.
Physical Requirements: Constantly stand, walk, reach, push/pull, see/visual acuity, handle/grasp/feel, bend/twist, stoop/kneel/crouch, talk/hear, lift/carry 1 to 50+ lbs. Frequently sit.