Job Summary: Under general supervision of a licensed pharmacist, and in accordance with standard departmental procedures, prepare medications for patient consumption.
- Consistently uses an outward mindset and puts forth exemplary effort in accomplishing his/her goals and objectives in a manner that helps others to achieve their goals and objectives.
- Assists the pharmacist with the handling of telephone calls and triage calls appropriately and receives assignments from Pharmacists.
- Checks all orders and deliveries for completeness, accuracy, and proper labeling.
- Performs delivery and pickup of medications to secure areas in a timely manner.
- Performs unit inspections checking for all nonconformities, keeps record of inspections, and communicates with charge nurse/nurse manager and pharmacist of any identified issues.
- Ensures adequate stock of sterile equipment, pharmaceutical equipment, pharmaceuticals, and all non-pharmaceuticals.
- Prepackages bulk medications into unit dose packaging for dispensing to patients and maintains accurate and appropriate records in the Packaging Machine.
- Proactively prepackages specialty kits used throughout the hospital.
- Prepares outpatient prescriptions to be dispensed after pharmacist approval in accordance with pharmacy law and standards of pharmacy practice.
- Appropriately address pharmaceutical recalls in a timely manner.
- Inventories, checks, and maintains correct expiration dates upon refill of Automated Dispensing Machines. Proactively addresses short-dated product by removing from machine and marking for immediate use in high moving areas.
- Isolates any nonconforming product (expired, recalled, broken, unusable) to identified area.
- Maintains appropriate stock and dates in ancillary medication servers such as crash carts, EMS bags, RSI boxes.
- Demonstrates ability to address and mitigate drug shortages.
- Reorders medications/supplies on appropriate accounts (340B, GPO, WAC) through wholesaler, direct accounts, and specialty suppliers.
- Appropriately checks in deliveries, checks against packing slip and/or invoice, barcode scans in all appropriate computer systems and places medications/supplies in appropriate storage areas.
- Performs pharmacy physical inventory as appropriate.
- Maintains accuracy of controlled substance counts, addressing and/or explaining all discrepancies in a timely manner.
- Appropriately and accurately orders, invoices, and bills pharmacy supplied medications/supplies for all hospital owned clinics and physician offices.
- Bills and credits in a timely manner any additional medication doses using appropriate computer systems.
- Maintains effective and courteous communication with department directors, managers, pharmacists, technicians, and all hospital personnel.
Minimum Qualifications: Active Michigan Pharmacy Technician license.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: Able to work accurately under stress and with time interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with personnel and visitors. Able to operate computer programs, troubleshoot, and resolve system issues; must have strong organizational skills.
Working Conditions: May be exposed to infectious waste, diseases, conditions, etc., including the AIDS and Hepatitis B viruses. Must wear appropriate personal protective equipment as required in sterile areas.
Physical Requirements: Constantly stand, walk, reach, see/visual acuity, handle/grasp/feel, talk/hear, lift/carry 1 to 25 lbs. Frequently push/pull, bend/twist, stoop/kneel/crouch, lift/carry 25 to 49 lbs. Occasionally lift/carry 50+ lbs.