Job Summary: General responsibility of providing professional evaluation and triage of patients. The responsibilities will entail crisis management, intake and referral for placement of patients within the Psychiatric programs and case coordination with community referral sources.
- Consistently uses an outward mindset and puts forth exemplary effort in accomplishing his/her goals and objectives in a manner that helps others to achieve their goals and objectives
- Evaluates and coordinates psychiatric intakes
- Assesses, orients, and establishes rapport with clients by conducting patient/family intake interviews, coordinating assessment intake and reviewing, summarizing and recording data; completes written documentation of the face-to-face intake assessment prior to departing the hospital at the end of his/her shift
- Routinely conducts collateral interviews with the patient’s support system to gain input into the presenting symptoms and issues
- Forms diagnostic impressions for mental, emotional and substance abuse disorders according to the DSM IV criteria
- Presents psychiatric intake information to the psychiatrist in an organized concise formulation of the problem including impression and recommendations
- In conjunction with the patient, generates a service plan designed to meet assessed needs
- As necessary, contacts appropriate third-party payers or community mental health authorities for required pre-admission screening or pre-authorization for psychiatric admission
- Routinely reviews voluntary admissions process with patients, recipient rights, other hospital polices as applicable, and completes the written documentation with the patient; obtaining appropriate patient signatures for psychiatric hospitalization
- Assists with group therapy as needed
- Acts as a liaison between PCP offices and inpatient Psych when necessary
- Assists ED with case management needs on off hours when appropriate
- Maintains the schedule for the intake specialists and is responsible to ensure that all hours are filled for crisis intake
Minimum Qualifications: Graduate from an accredited Master’s Degree Program in Social Work, Counseling Psychology, or Clinical Psychology, plus two (2) years’ experience working in a mental health treatment setting. In addition, is licensed and in good standing in the State of Michigan in his/her respective discipline. Handle With Care certification within 60 days of hire.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: Experience in psychiatric diagnostic interviewing, suicide and behavioral risk assessment, crisis management, and evaluation of adult and pediatric psychiatric patients. Experience working as an emergency department behavioral health evaluator preferred. Familiarity with pre-admission utilization review procedures, and case management of individuals in psychiatric crisis. Familiar with electronic medical record documentation system.
Working Conditions: Subject to exposure to infectious waste, diseases, conditions, etc., including the AIDS and Hepatitis B viruses. Scheduled for after-hours on-call shifts.
Physical Requirements: Constantly sit, see/visual acuity, handle/grasp/feel, talk/hear, lift/carry 1 to 25 lbs. Frequently stand, walk, reach, lift/carry 25 to 50+ lbs. Occasionally lift/carry 50+ lbs.