Job Summary: The Legal Strategist has the general responsibility of advising the executive staff and all levels of management on legal issues.
- Consistently uses an outward mindset and puts forth exemplary effort in accomplishing his/her goals and objectives in a manner that helps others to achieve their goals and objectives
- Responsible for identifying, researching and analyzing assigned legal issues
- Develops risk reduction measures
- Advises and assists with federal and state reporting, as well as with patient grievances
- Assists with investigations relating to government subpoenas, search warrants and investigations, self-disclosure protocols, and other investigations
- Works with the CEO and Senior Leadership to define Oaklawn goals and strategic priorities
- Works with the CEO on special projects, partnerships, business development and strategic initiatives
- Briefs the CEO/Senior Leadership on legal issues, potential liabilities, and possible courses of action
- Supports day-to-day operations and helps drive organizational excellence
- Researches, prioritizes, and follows up on corporate issues and concerns including those of a sensitive or confidential nature. Works to determine the appropriate course of action, referral or response.
- Provides support for risk management, accreditation and compliance as needed
- Serves as a liaison, as appropriate, with internal and external partners including serving on various local and regional governmental commissions and Boards as well as community relations
- Actively engaged in the Certificate of Need initiatives impacting Oaklawn development initiatives
- Advises, assists and serves as a resource for Corporate Compliance issues and initiatives
- Serves as Public Information Officer during emergency situations and other circumstances as appropriate
Minimum Qualifications: Juris Doctor with minimum 5 years legal experience or commensurate combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: Excellent written and verbal communication skills, as well as listening and comprehension skills. Ability to draft letters and documents for the President and CEO, meet the public and handle stressful situations. Strong interpersonal, organizational, and coaching skills. Ability to work independently and with professional discretion. Experience confidentially handling sensitive information. Ability to independently lead, research and manage multiple projects and carry out complex or sensitive assignments in a timely manner.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements: Walk, stand, bend, kneel or sit, as needed. May require walking primarily on a level surface for periods of time throughout the day. Reaching above shoulder, below the waist or lifting up to 25 pounds, as needed.