Job Summary: Responsible for the organization’s fundraising programs, direct mail, special events, monthly giving, annual appeals and major gifts under the general direction of the CFO and in collaboration with staff and other Directors. Provides overall development policy and strategic advice to the CFO and is a key member of the organization’s Leadership Forum.
- Consistently uses an outward mindset and puts forth exemplary effort in accomplishing his/her goals and objectives in a manner that helps others to achieve their goals and objectives.
- Develops an effective plan including overall fundraising.
- Provides hands-on management of implementation of the Development operational plan and budget to ensure that the organization’s long-term and annual development plans and strategies are being met.
- Provides overall development policy and strategic advice to the CFO and organization as a whole.
- Coordinates the activities of staff to ensure that all development work is effectively planned and implemented.
- Coordinates and oversees the planning, scheduling and budgeting of all appeals.
- Oversees data selection for donor mailings and the acquisition of lists for prospective mailings/ telemarketing.
- Leads the development of a “Major Gifts” program.
- Researches and coordinates the “ask” both personally and assigning various board or staff as appropriate.
- Ensures appropriate donor relations including acknowledgement letters and other correspondence, premiums, newsletters, special mailings, telephone and in-person contact.
- Oversees the maintenance of the membership database, ensuring the timely and accurate processing and acknowledgement of all donations and participates in the development and implementation of donor database software and hardware enhancements/refinements.
- Monitors all outreach activities and in collaboration with appropriate staff, participates in relationship building, content development, follow-up and reporting.
- Provides timely and accurate analysis of all programs and reports to the CFO and the of the organization as required.
- Attends regular management team meetings to address organizational issues and collaborates on organizational initiatives as a member of the management team.
- Contributes to the development of plans and strategies and the resolution of operational issues together with other teams.
- Researches and writes applicable and appropriate grants.
- Plans, schedules and coordinates events.
Minimum Qualifications: Two (2) years’ experience in development (fundraising/donor relations), including highly developed fundraising research, writing, and editorial and messaging of fundraising requests. Relevant degree and/or equivalent educational qualifications.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: Proven track record with previous non-profit organizations with the ability to successfully raise funds, make presentations, direct mail activities, prepare foundation requests and supervise and coordinate an energetic team. Energetic and self-directed, with effective time management and organizational skills, including the ability to deal with several priorities at the same time. Strong strategically focused analytical skills, good common sense; capacity to provide leadership and to collaborate with others in a team situation. Well-developed interpersonal, conflict resolution and negotiating skills. Excellent oral and written communications skills. Computer skills including familiarity with word processing, database, and the Internet. Knowledge of Raisers Edge a plus. A good sense of humor.
Working Conditions: Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment available.
Physical Requirements: Constantly talk/hear. Frequently sit, see/visual acuity, handle/grasp/feel. Occasionally lift/carry 1 to 49 lbs.