Job Summary: Responsible for insuring professional outpatient mental health service to the patients, hospital staff and hospital departments in accordance with Oaklawn Hospital policies. Provides psychological diagnostic interviews, develops individualized treatment plans with therapeutic goals and objectives for each client, and conducts individual, group or family therapy to meet the behavioral health needs of the patients. May also provide counseling services in other hospital programs as needed.
- Consistently uses an outward mindset and puts forth exemplary effort in accomplishing his/her goals and objectives in a manner that helps others to achieve their goals and objectives.
- Assesses, orients, and establishes rapport with clients by conducting a client/family intake interview, recording the assessment intake data, and reviewing, summarizing, formulating the case.
- Assesses risk of self-injurious behaviors, self-harm, or harm to others and either refers to appropriate level of care for the client’s safety or develops a safety plan with the client and motivates the client to comply with the steps of the safety plan.
- Forms diagnostic impressions for mental, emotional and substance abuse disorders according to the current APA Diagnostic and Statistical Manual criteria.
- In conjunction with the client, generates an outpatient therapy treatment plan designed to meet assessed needs.
- Conducts individual, group, or family therapy using therapeutic interventions appropriate to levels of functioning, diagnosis, treatment plan and motivation.
- Coordinates care between other involved Oaklawn providers, collaborates with treating psychiatrist, and other external agencies or providers treating the client.
- Maintains timely and accurate medical records as required by licensing, insurance companies and policy.
- Seeks out and participates in individual face-to-face supervision as required by regulation or as identified as needed by the Therapist or clinical supervisory staff.
- Maintains current knowledge on assessment, diagnostic skills or treatment techniques for the therapist’s active client caseload. Transfers care of clients to another provider when appropriate; for example, but not limited to, a conflict of interest, a professional boundary, or a treatment need that is better served by the skill set of another professional .
- Participates in OPS Peer Review in discussing and problem solving own and others’ cases.
- Participates in marketing activities for specialty area or Oaklawn Psychological Services in general as assigned by the Psychiatric Services Program Director
- Completes required supplementary documentation or case reviews for third-party insurances as stipulated in the contractual agreements with the third party payer.
- Participates in and conducts community and professional education programs as requested.
- Conducts a psychotherapy group at the Psychiatric Unit or Partial Hospitalization Program as requested.
Minimum Qualifications: Graduation from an accredited Master’s Degree Program in Social Work, Counseling Psychology, or Clinical Psychology, plus two (2) years’ experience in individual outpatient therapy. Fully licensed and in good standing in the State of Michigan in his/her respective discipline (i.e. Licensed Masters in Social work, Licensed Professional Counselor, Limited Licensed Psychologist). Handle with Care Nonverbal Certification in nonverbal de-escalation techniques within two (2) months of hire and annual re-certification.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: Two years or more of clinical experience working with a child, adolescent or adult psychiatric treatment population including experience in diagnostic assessment and individual therapy. Experience with crisis management and suicide risk assessment. Able to work under stressful situations and possesses good oral and written communication skills. Familiarity with electronic medical record documentation.
Working Conditions: Potentially exposed to infectious diseases.
Physical Requirements: Constantly sit, see/visual acuity, talk/hear, lift/carry 1 to 25 lbs. Frequently stand, walk, reach, push/pull, see/visual acuity, handle/grasp/feel, taste/smell, lift/carry 25 to 49 lbs.