Job Summary: Provides peri-operative care of surgical patients, under the direction of a Registered Nurse. Assures physical environment is appropriately prepared before patient arrival. Assists RN with developing plan of care. Follows procedures to ensure patient and employee safety.
- Consistently uses an outward mindset and puts forth exemplary effort in accomplishing his/her goals and objectives in a manner that helps others to achieve their goals and objectives.
- Assists surgical team during operative procedures.
- Uses instruments and medical devices.
- Provides exposure, handles and/or cuts tissue and provides hemostasis and sutures.
- Uses technology appropriately including safety standards and measures; follows infection prevention standards.
- Uses evidence based tools, established policies, procedures and standards of care and practice.
- Engages in self-assessment, peer review, completes mandatory education and competency assessments, accepts responsibility for ongoing professional development.
- Participates in unit based performance improvement activities, staff meetings, supports change
- Arranges and inventories sterile set-up for operation, and passes items as needed to operating team.
- Assists in preparing and moving patients, and in cleaning the OR theater.
- Prepares specimens for analysis.
Minimum Qualifications: 18 years of age. Graduate from an accredited Surgical Technologist program; Graduation from an accredited STFA program and certification within 1 year of hire. BCLS certification.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: Possesses clinical knowledge to function effectively in assigned area. Certification preferred.
Working Conditions: Potentially exposed to infectious diseases.
Physical Requirements: Constantly stand, push/pull, see/visual acuity, talk/hear. Frequently sit, walk, reach, handle/grasp/feel, bend/twist, stoop/kneel/crouch, lift/carry 25 to 50+ lbs.