Job Summary: Under the direct supervision of the Charge/Registered Nurse and/or Physician, provides direct care to an assigned patient population. Completes documentation of patient care, patient condition, reactions and response to treatment in a timely manner and tracks patient progress.
- Consistently uses an outward mindset and puts forth exemplary effort in accomplishing his/her goals and objectives in a manner that helps others to achieve their goals and objectives.
- Assists in providing activities of daily living to an assigned patient population.
- Completes hourly rounds on assigned patient population.
- Communicates readily with patients and families and serves as a liaison between the patient and licensed staff.
- Assists in answering call lights in a timely manner.
- Performs duties within the realm of a nurse extern. Including but not limited to the following tasks, once competency achieved with nursing program AND direct RN over sight and co-signatures.
- Head to toe assessment
- Data collection for adult admission history
- Urinary Catheter insertion and/or discontinuation (includes straight catheterizations)
- Bladder scanning
- Simple Dressing Changes with wound assessment
- NG placement
- Monitors supplies and restocks accordingly.
- Assists in specimen collection, identification and transportation to lab.
- Assists clinically as needed.
- Performs rotation in CPR as needed.
- Assists patients in obtaining essential needs such as blankets, fluids and nutrition after verifying with attending or RN.
- Uses technology appropriately including safety standards and measures; follows infection prevention standards.
Minimum Qualifications: Completion of Nursing Fundamentals semester in an accredited school of nursing program; excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills; BLS certification.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: Nurse aide certification preferred; Proficiency in computer documentation preferred. Clear oral expression; oral comprehension includes listening to and understanding others; deductive and inductive reasoning skills; ability to write clearly; use of technology such as EMR, selective attention – able to concentrate for protracted periods; time sharing – able to shift back and forth successfully between two or more activities; Ability to work with diverse patient and staff populations with sensitivity to cultural and spiritual influences impacting patient care. Efficiently manage time with minimal supervision.
Working Conditions: Work in an unpredictable environment encountering stressful situations and exposure to body fluids and infectious diseases. May experience traumatic situations including deceased patients.
Physical Requirements: Constantly stand, walk, reach, push/pull, see/visual acuity, handle/grasp/feel, bend/twist, talk/hear, lift/carry 50+ lbs. Frequently sit, stoop/kneel/crouch.