Job Summary: Under the direct supervision of the Charge/Registered Nurse and/or Physician, provides direct care to an assigned patient population. Completes documentation of patient care, patient condition, reactions and response to treatment in a timely manner and tracks patient progress.
- Consistently uses an outward mindset and puts forth exemplary effort in accomplishing his/her goals and objectives in a manner that helps others to achieve their goals and objectives.
- Assists RN’s by rooming patients including gowning; provides assistance when needed.
- Patients presenting with cardiac, respiratory or dizziness will be places patient on a cardiac monitor
- Completes hourly rounds and vital signs on patients in North Hall; provides assistance in South Hall as needed.
- Communicates readily with patients and families and serves as a liaison between the patient and licensed staff.
- Assists in answering call lights in a timely manner.
- Performs duties within the realm of a nurse extern. Including but not limited to the following tasks, once competency achieved with nursing program AND direct RN over sight and co-signatures.
- Head to toe assessment
- Data collection for admission including medication history
- Urinary Catheter insertion and/or discontinuation (includes straight catheterizations)
- Bladder scanning
- Simple Dressing Changes with wound assessment
- NG placement
- Blood draws
- Splinting patients with RN sign off and check prior to discharge
- Sets up and chaperones pelvic examinations
- Assists in specimen collection, identification and transportation to lab. Confirms labeling with two patient identifiers (Name and Date of Birth)
- Assists clinically, as needed.
- Performs rotation in CPR as needed.
- Assists patients in obtaining essential needs such as blankets, fluids and nutrition after verifying with attending or RN.
- Uses technology appropriately including safety standards and measures; follows infection prevention standards.
- Cleans and returns equipment to proper location.
- Prepares North Hall for closing: clean and restock rooms and nursing station, plug in computers; prepares South Hall as needed.
- May be assigned LPN duties if a licensed LPN.
Minimum Qualifications: Completion of Nursing Fundamentals semester in an accredited school of nursing program or Graduate of an accredited school of practical nursing. Current licensure by the State of Michigan Board of Nursing; BLS certification.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: Nurse aide certification preferred; Proficiency in computer documentation preferred. Clear oral expression; oral comprehension includes listening to and understanding others; deductive and inductive reasoning skills; ability to write clearly; use of technology such as EMR, selective attention – able to concentrate for protracted periods; time sharing – able to shift back and forth successfully between two or more activities; Ability to work with diverse patient and staff populations with sensitivity to cultural and spiritual influences impacting patient care. Efficiently manage time with minimal supervision.
Working Conditions: Work in an unpredictable environment encountering stressful situations and exposure to body fluids and infectious diseases. May experience traumatic situations including deceased patients.
Physical Requirements: Constantly stand, walk, reach, push/pull, see/visual acuity, handle/grasp/feel, bend/twist, talk/hear, lift/carry 50+ lbs. Frequently sit, stoop/kneel/crouch.